Recurring 30 MB data usage

Moe42
Contributor II

I have 3 account and all 3 have alot of 30mb data being used almost daily.if i added it up all these 30mb are using most of my data.Is lucky ripping people off of data?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MK4753
Regular Contributor II

Hey Trixie,

It might be possible that your phone is using data in the background, to update apps or software of the phone.

What you can do is, if you have an iPhone, you can enable low data mode from your mobile data options in the settings of your iPhone. If you have an android device, you can also do it from the settings, but the option might be a little bit different according to your phone. Simply, put your phone name and type low data mode on google and you can enable that option to your android as well, and hopefully it stops doing background tasks.

View reply in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Hi there @Moe42, thanks for your post.
Often times this data usage is related to an app that auto refreshes in the background. Such as a weather app, email app or even app shortcuts on your main screen. 

We recommend that you check to ensure that the Background App Refresh is turned off. This option can be found in the settings, and the steps will vary depending on which device you have.
Let the Community know if you have any other questions.
- Patricia

BobsM
Contributor

I am having the same problem with our three Lucky accounts. Up to three times daily, blocks of data exactly 30.0 MB in size are being logged to our phones.  It is killing our data plans.  Customer service was of no help.

MK4753
Regular Contributor II

Hey BobsM,

It looks like there is a problem with the Lucky Mobile displaying the data usage. Its just making our usage into a 30mb blocks and displaying it repeatedly. For example, if I browse youtube for 2 hours and consume 450mb of data, the app will show the usage as 30mb used 15 times making it total of 450mb. Its not any unknown usage, it is just our regular usage but showed in the pieces of 30mbs.

It sounds strange and should be fixed as then there is no point of viewing the usage per day/hour. It just displays 30mb usage many times. So don't worry its not killing your plan by using the data in background without you knowing.

My usage report shows entries of precisely 30.0 mb hits every few days-- but sometimes more than once per day. What causes this?

MK4753
Regular Contributor II

Hey Old_Muskat,

I have explained this in my above reply. if you use 300mb in one day, it will show 30mb used 10 times.

Trixie
Contributor

In one week it has posted 48 of these 30MB data usage to my account for a total of 1.4GB. I have rarely used more than 100MB for an entire month.

MK4753
Regular Contributor II

Hey Trixie,

It might be possible that your phone is using data in the background, to update apps or software of the phone.

What you can do is, if you have an iPhone, you can enable low data mode from your mobile data options in the settings of your iPhone. If you have an android device, you can also do it from the settings, but the option might be a little bit different according to your phone. Simply, put your phone name and type low data mode on google and you can enable that option to your android as well, and hopefully it stops doing background tasks.

Thank you for your reply. I had previously restricted background data and noticed after checking the huge data usage that somehow the box became unchecked. Don't know if that was after an app update. It appears Instagram is the data hog. I do not use data except in extremely limited circumstances, so it was quite the shock. Thanks again.